Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Exhibition recalls the Shire and City of Heidleberg

Photo: Newly opened Courthouse with lead light windows 1900 Heiidelberg Historical Society in partnership with Yarra Plenty Regional Library

When the new brick court house in Jika Street, Heidelberg opened its doors in 1901, the Shire of Heidelberg had existed for 30 years. The Shire progressed so remarkably over the next 30 years that it was conferred with the status of a City.
The old court house is now the Museum of the Heidelberg HistoricalSociety, which is currently featuring an exhibition celebrating the 80th Anniversary of the proclamation of the City of Heidelberg.
Proclaimed in 1934, the City of Heidelberg had its beginnings in 1840 in the formation of the Heidelberg Road Trust. It was the first municipality to be formed in the Port Phillip District which was then still part of the Colony of New South Wales. A decade later the Colony of Victoria was gazetted and, in 1860, the Heidelberg Road District was proclaimed, taking over from the Trust. The Shire of Heidelberg came into existence in 1871.
Heidelberg Historical Society’s exhibition, ”Heidelberg District: Shire to City – 1871 to 1934  focuses on the civic development of the Shire of Heidelberg from the 1870s through to its proclamation as a City in 1934. This is revealed through photographs, subdivision plans, objects and other material sourced mainly from the Society’s collections.
The exhibition is on until 7 December 2014.

Heidelberg Historical Society Museum is located in the old court house, Jika Street, Heidelberg near the Burgundy Street shopping area. The exhibition is open to the public on Sundays from 2pm to 5pm, or by appointment for groups of 10 or more persons. Admission is $5 per person (aged over 16 years).

No comments: